In the Footsteps of Marconi
Photo Documentation of the Chatham Radio/WCC Station
by Christopher Seufert
A 158-page and 220-image photographic essay by photographer Christopher Seufert. The former Chatham Radio/ WCC campus on Ryder's Cove in Chatham, Massachusetts was built by architect James Gilbert White for Guglielmo Marconi in 1914. The site became the busiest ship to shore station in the Northern Hemisphere was responsible for communications with Admiral Byrd's South Pole expedition, Charles Lindbergh's trans-Atlantic flight, the Hindenburg's disastrous last voyage, and Amelia Earhart's final flight, to name a few. After many decades of distinguished service in maritime communications the station was automated in 1993, having been manned at its peak in World War II by a staff of two hundred. The six residential bungalows, power house, garage, hotel, and operations building then entered an alarming fifteen-year period of neglect. The buildings were subject to vandalism, as were their contents, a time capsule in the form of 1930's messages, morse code tapes, cash receipts, gum wrappers, whiskey labels, etc.
Christopher Seufert specializes in architectural, portrait, aerial, lifestyle/fashion, and landscape photography. He has a background in journalism, film, and both traditional and digital photography. He is the author of six hard cover photography books including Cape Cod & Islands Reflections (Schiffer, 2010) and The Cape Cod National Seashore: A Photographic Adventure & Guide (Schiffer, 2012).
Dune Shack Life Published May 14, 2014
Dune Shack Life Published January 18, 2010
CAPE COD & ISLANDS VIEWS Published December 02, 2008
CHATHAM VIEWS Published October 27, 2008
CHATHAM BY AIR Published June 29, 2008