This booklet is produced in celebration of the completion of a programme of restoration and liturgical re-ordering at the church of St Thomas of Canterbury, Fulham. Built to a design by A.W.N. Pugin, at a time when he was also occupied with the interior of the rebuilt Palace of Westminster, the church was opened in May 1848. In many ways incomplete, it had suffered over time (including from aerial bombardment in the Second World War). Over a five year period, the parish at Fulham has pursued a campaign that combines alterations to accommodate the revived post-conciliar liturgy with a scheme of redecoration reflecting that liturgy, and at the same time completing and articulating the essentials of Pugin’s own fiercely held–and often fiercely contested–architectural principles. The booklet is illustrated with fine photographs by Richard Davies.
Martin Goalen is an architect and writer on architectural history and criticism. He is a founding partner of the firm Academy Projects (Archaeology • Architecture) LLP and has been Visiting Professor at University College London and Visiting Fellow at the British Schools of Archaeology at Rome and at Athens. His projects have included archaeological survey and conservation work in Italy and Greece as well as work on buildings by A.W.N. Pugin at Derby, at Fulham, and at the Palace of Westminster. He is a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London.