Imiola describes the history of the Imiola (Seeking Life) Congregational Church in Waimea (also called Kamuela) Hawaii. This church was founded by Congregational missionaries in 1830 and rebuilt twice. The current building was erected in 1855 and is built almost entirely of koa wood, a Hawaiian wood of great strength and beauty which in 2009 is now very rare and valuable.
The church has seen many pastors, or na kahu, through the years but none as prolific as Lorenzo Lyons who served there from 1832 to 1886. He converted and educated thousands; he built twelve other churches, acted as government physician and was the first postmaster. He also translated hundreds of hymns into the Hawaiian language.
Throughout the years na kahu and the congregations have been great stewards of the church and great contributors to the religious and humanitarian well being of the Waimea district on Hawaii Island.
Imiola reveals the history of Hawaii as it transitioned from the historical beliefs of the Hawaiian people to a Christian nation. And, at the same time, describing the beauty and service of the Imiola Congregational Church through the last 179 years.