Aldingbourne St Mary the Virgin
by Nigel Mearing
About the Book
The church of St Mary the Virgin, Aldingbourne is in the parish of Aldingbourne, Barnham and Eastergate in the Deanery of Arundel and Bognor. It is one of the largest parishes in the Archdeaconry of Chichester.
The church was mentioned in the Domesday Book. The building consists of a nave, a former vestry which has been altered to provide kitchen and toilet facilities, a chancel, a south aisle with a chapel dedicated to St George, a tower, porch, vestry and organ chamber.
It is mainly the product of the restoration of 1867 by Ewan Christian with later alterations made to the furnishings at the beginning of the twentieth century.
The original Norman building was much smaller and was greatly enlarged towards the end of the twelfth century. Further additions and alterations were made in the thirteenth century.