The launch issue of Oval Short Fiction features a truly international array of young writers from Lagos, Berlin, London and Manchester. And the content of the stories is equally as varied: we are sold a Chinese-medicine business by Nigerian ‘Network Marketeer’, witness the transformative disaster of a flight for aviophobes, visit a fantastical post-colonial world with a beautiful woman named Jesus, hear the cackling testimony of a young man’s long-dead aunt and witness the sexual politics of Dogma film-making in Norway.
The five stories featured in Issue 1 are:
- ‘Network Marketing’ by Jekwu Anyaegbuna
- ‘There was this experiment…’ by Max Dunbar
- ‘Jesus Was a Girl’ by Katia Kash
- ‘My Mother’s Twin’ by Eric Karl Anderson
- ‘Nocturne’ by Rose Tizane Merrill
Issue 1 of Oval Short Fiction is illustrated by the hugely talented Breton illustrator and designer, Florence de la Fournière, and will be available to buy from Winter 2013/14.