Having a strong interest in landscape photography Richards has created his first book, in the map reference series, with photographs of the area at Nash Point Lighthouse. This book documents the area over a period of one year and will display how dominant the landscape is in this area, along with its outstanding beauty!
Nash Point has become a landmark, a symbol of the past for many; for years lighthouses have saved the lives of seamen. However in the present day they are starting to disappear in the advent of Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) technology.
The lighthouse was established in 1832 with the current tower being the original. Thomas Protheroe of Newport put forward an application to build the lighthouses to aid ships to pass safely through the Bristol Channel, where the sea begins to narrow between Porthcawl and Barry, an area known as Nash Sands. The application was successful and a pair of range lights were established at Nash Point, 3 miles east of St. Donats. Joseph Nelson, who built the lighthouses, died a year after their completion.
In 1920 the low light was discontinued after the high light was re-configured. During the 1970's the lantern had been removed. It became automated in 1998. Today a 1,500 watt lamp and a catadiotric fixed lens, with two reinforcing panels, gives a group of flashing lights, twice every 15 seconds. The range of white light can be seen up to 21 miles away and the red light at up to 16 miles.