San Francisco, CA
Blurb® is a book-making platform and creative community that enables individuals to create, publish, share and sell high-quality photo books, trade books, and magazines in both print and digital formats. Blurb is accessible to consumers across the globe with free, innovative book creation and layout tools. Founded in 2005, Blurb has over 2 million customers worldwide, resulting in over 4 million unique book titles, with nearly 18 million units shipped to almost 100 countries around the world. We are headquartered in San Francisco.
Blurb’s platform evolves in response our dynamic market, and that means continuous growth and change for our product and infrastructure. We need strong and experienced IT/DevOps practition-ers who have depth in their skillset and the ability to apply those skills to continuously improve our environment and methods.
As a member of our DevOps team, you specialize in certain areas while backing up others in theirs. This means close collaboration and real-time decision making. You maintain strong relationships with our broader team, understanding their objectives and translating them into solid solutions that manage both risk and urgency. In short, you help us build an evolving and lasting foundation for deploying and managing our products.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated ability in automating systems administration tasks and authoring policies and procedures that support 24x7 operations. This position includes off hours during on call rotation. Your troubleshooting skills should be top-notch, and your communication skills should be strong.
Education: Bachelors Degree in IT, Computer Science or equivalent work experience
Work Experience: 3-5 years experience in DevOps / TechOps, Systems Administration, or related work
- Experience in Linux based system administration in both datacenter (bare metal) and cloud environments
- Excellent troubleshooting and communication skills
- Experience working with and deploying virtualization and containerization technologies Experience with common automation tools such as Ansible, Puppet, Salt, or Chief Familiarity with best practices in CI/CD
- Working knowledge of networking in relationship to application and system connectivity
- Ability to triage or troubleshoot an incident from start to resolution, providing detailed root cause analysis
- Willingness to participate in 24/7 on-call rotation (once every 3 weeks)
Additional / Preferred Skills:
- Ability to leverage monitoring systems and metrics analysis as a means of troubleshooting
- Working knowledge or experience in administration of common network devices (routers, switches, firewalls)
- Working knowledge or experience with storage technologies (SAN, NAS, Cloud storage)
Supervisory Responsibility: N/A
This is a full time position based in our headquarters in San Francisco’s Financial District. Occasional travel may be required to any one of our 3 data centers (Oakland, Salt Lake City, and Portland) to assist with new equipment, configure and test, or decommission old equipment. In addition, the DevOps Engineer will be on call 1 out of every 3-5 weeks.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (HMO, PPO, HSA options)
- Parental Leave Benefit
- Employer-Paid Life insurance, Short-term and Long-term disability
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts for Medical, Dependent Care, and Transportation and Parking expenses
- 10 Paid Holidays
- 15 Days Paid Time Off Per Year (with tenure-based increases after two years)
- Birthday Off
- Catered Lunch on Wednesdays
- Office massage
- $300 credit A Year to Create Your Own Books with Blurb
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Blurb is committed to equal opportunity and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and other job functions are subject to modification. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.