Blurb® is a book-making platform and creative community that enables individuals to create, publish, share and sell high-quality photo books, trade books, and magazines in both print and digital formats. Blurb is accessible to consumers across the globe with free, innovative book creation and layout tools. Founded in 2005, Blurb has over 2 million customers worldwide, resulting in over 4 million unique book titles, with nearly 18 million units shipped to almost 100 countries around the world. We are headquartered in San Francisco.
About the role:
We’re looking for an exceptional Product Designer that will have a big influence on the company’s flagship software. As the lead designer for our creation tools team, you’ll design the software that empowers mil-lions of people to create, publish, and share their books and magazines with a global audience. The ideal candidate is a creative thinker who gets excited about solving complex design challenges at scale. You’ll represent the voice of our users, translating their needs into a compelling and engaging product. As part of a small but growing, collaborative design team, you’ll have an excellent opportunity to make an impact from your first day.
What you'll be doing:
- Working through product problems from definition and opportunity, to shipping features to our customers
- Partnering closely with designers, copywriters, engineers and product managers across the company
- Exploring and communicating ideas in a range of fidelities, from paper sketches to animated interactive prototypes
- Acting as a leader and self-starter within the design and creation tools teams
- Promoting a holistic user experience vision by maintaining shared design systems and standards, participating in design reviews, and serving as a user advocate
- Working closely with design leadership to ensure a cohesive user experience across our entire product ecosystem
- Teaming up with Blurb’s Sr. UX researcher on qualitative and quantitative research needs
What we're looking for:
Education: Bachelors Degree in Design or a related subject, preferred
Experience: 4+ years of experience as a user experience designer, product designer, interaction designer, or similar
- Understanding of what makes an experience good or bad; ability to think through user problems, find reasonable solutions, mock them up in detail, and work with engineers to build them
- Natural curiosity about how things work and not afraid to ask questions
- Self-starter and strong communicator, with experience collaborating with a number of different departments to make things happen - product management, engineering, marketing
- Empathetic and analytical mindset with the ability to identify and validate opportunities using research and data to inform design decisions
- Comfortable talking with users, validating their needs, and evaluating the usability of the products you are designing
- Understanding of the technical limitations and liberties behind your decisions, and ability to effectively communicate your ideas to our engineers
- You think holistically about an entire design system and user experience, not just in screens
- Mastery of the latest product design tools
- Experience designing desktop software, a plus
Supervisory Responsibility: N/A
This is a full time position based in Blurb’s downtown San Francisco Headquarters. Occasional work from home is an option.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (HMO, PPO, HSA options)
- Parental Leave Benefit
- Employer-Paid Life insurance, Short-term and Long-term disability
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts for Medical, Dependent Care, and Transportation and Parking expenses
- 10 Paid Holidays
- 15 Days Paid Time Off Per Year (with tenure-based increases after two years)
- Birthday Off
- Catered Lunch on Wednesdays
- Office massage
- $300 credit A Year to Create Your Own Books with Blurb
How to Apply
Please send your resume and link to an online portfolio demonstrating experience creating user-centered design solutions, directly to email@example.com or via LinkedIn
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Blurb is committed to equal opportunity and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and other job functions are subject to modification. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.