Technical Product Manager
San Francisco, CA
Blurb® is a book-making platform and creative community that enables individuals to create, publish, share and sell high-quality photo books, trade books, and magazines in both print and digital formats. Blurb is accessible to consumers across the globe with free, innovative book creation and layout tools. Founded in 2005, Blurb has over 2 million customers worldwide, resulting in over 4 million unique book titles, with nearly 18 million units shipped to almost 100 countries around the world. We are headquartered in San Francisco.
Blurb’s product team is looking for a hands-on Technical Product Manager with prior experience collaborating with engineering teams on a complex platform powering both a front-end website & native applications. For this position, candidates must have experience transferring a monolithic software architecture to a service oriented architecture.
This position is for an experienced Technical Product Manager who thrives in a fast-paced, collaborative, agile environment and loves working with a great technology team.
- Own product and business decisions on Blurb’s platform services driving for configurability, standards, scalability and stability.
- Drive product vision, strategy, and roadmap for move from monolithic software architecture to a service-oriented architecture.
- Own day-to-day feature & bug development for Blurb Platform, writing detailed design documents, creating and prioritizing user stories, and analyzing user data to drive decision making.
- Oversee development of Blurb Print API including roadmap, customer integrations/scheduling, and API endpoint design.
- Be a product domain expert, understand the market and customer needs and the competition product lines.
- Leadership through influence rather than organization structures. Proven ability to motivate, lead, and collaborate with cross-functional agile development teams and manage interactions across product areas.
- At least 5+ years of relevant, hands-on product management experience and demonstrated success at managing a medium to large scale platform stack.
- Solid understanding of Java, strength on server-side, recent focus on RESTful Web Services and AWS cloud solutions
- Experience with service-oriented architecture, microservices, and event-driven architecture.
- Strong product design skills, from both a technical API and architecture design perspective.
- Demonstrated success defining and shipping products in an iterative manner, with a hands-on willingness to do whatever it takes from an execution perspective.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with an ability to handle both executive-level discussions as well as functional / technical deep dives.
- Ability and willingness to work with distributed engineering, marketing, and business development.
Work Experience: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
Skills: At least 5+ years of relevant, hands-on product management experience
Supervisory Responsibility: N/A
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (PPO or HMO options)
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Employer-paid life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transportation expenses
- 10 paid holidays
- 15 days paid time off per year (with tenure-based increases after two years)
- An extra day off for your birthday
- Free lunch on Wednesdays
- Company sponsored yoga and in-office massages
- $300 credit a year to create your own books with Blurb
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Blurb is a high-growth company, which means tremendous challenges and opportunities. We are looking for smart people who learn fast, solve problems, and get the job done. Our team is tasked with finding innovative ways to achieve hyper-growth and looking at new verticals and possibly new business models.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Blurb is committed to equal opportunity and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and other job functions are subject to modification. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.