Public Relation Manager (London, UK)
Blurb® is a self-publishing and marketing platform that unleashes the creative genius inside everyone. Blurb’s platform makes it easy to design, publish, promote, and sell professional-quality printed books and ebooks.
Blurb was founded by Eileen Gittins in 2005, and includes a team of design, Internet and media veterans who share a passion for helping people bring their stories to life. Blurb authors have created more than 2 million books using our full suite of free bookmaking tools, and today a new book is created every minute.
Blurb is based in San Francisco with offices in London and our website is available in seven languages. We have fun, work hard, and love helping people discover the thrill of being published.
Are you a whiz when it comes to crafting messaging that resonates with media, analysts and bloggers? Are you the best (or one of the best) writers that you know? Are you strategic in your thinking, yet can roll up your sleeves to execute? Do you have a black book bursting full of key media editors in the publishing industry?
Blurb is looking for an energetic and innovative Public Relations Manager to join our team: An individual who understands how to develop and execute PR strategies that drive brand awareness for our services and products – and ultimately generate leads. This role will be strategic and execution focused.
This role of Public relations manager would include but not be limited to the following responsibilities & tasks:
- We are firm believers in integrated marketing & communications so we would expect you to develop PR strategies that tie in with our overall multi-channel marketing strategy.
- We know that press coverage & publicity is the result of many different activities – so this job will include:
- Developing, managing and executing a UK and European wide PR plan. This includes product launches, client wins, speaker opportunities, as well as proactive and reactive press opportunities.
- Writing, editing, approving and distributing press materials, including press releases, bylines, fact sheets, media alerts, briefing documents, Q&As and talking points.
- Identify and develop PR opportunities, pitch angles and story ideas that tie-in with the overall marketing plan.
- Maintain a network of key business, technology trade and other target media contacts.
- Develop a proactive program of profile-raising activities for the company executives
- Developing corporate events & videos
- Devising and implementing creative campaigns integrated across both traditional, digital and social media channels.
- Building relationships with the media – we want people who have & develop their own “black book” of key media editors that are relevant to our business. However, we also want you to be clever in hiring project-based publicity agents as and when we need the additional reach & fire power of someone else’s black-book
- Your writing skills are important to us. We expect you to be a proficient writer – one that can take thoughts, ideas, conversations and turn it into compelling copy that captures attention – whether it is for press releases or speech writing for speaking engagements of the company executives or to just give a key editor a leg-up in getting that story placed.
- We are very extrovert and firm believers in “get up and do it”, so we are looking for someone who doesn’t mind calling around – whether it is to those you know to generate publicity or to get hold of that one important new contact or to pull off this never tried before PR stunt
- Be an ideas person – you need to come up with the crazy ideas that will get the red tops knocking on your door AND know how to structure those ideas to deliver results across multiple media platforms
- Last but not least, we are all about accountability – i.e. we want you to make sure everything you do really has a business impact, so we will expect you to develop and produce regular reports on the business impact of all your PR initiatives
Whilst we love to take your word for it, we would like to see proof of the following skills & experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing or Communications.
- 3-5 years experience in a dedicated PR role – either in-house (without an agency) or as part of an agency
- Proven list of pre-existing media relations with key editors in lifestyle consumer media (food, fashion, travel, parenting, etc.)
- A passionate, self-motivated and disciplined self-starter requiring little supervision in the planning and execution of tasks with the ability to manage numerous projects simultaneously.
- Strong written and oral communication skills. The ability to present and communicate ideas clearly and persuasively at all levels both internal and external.
- Capable of building strong working relationships across all levels of the company.
- The confidence, presence and personal credibility to quickly establish successful relationships
- Language requirements: Fluent in English and French, both spoken and written. Dutch would be a further benefit
How to Apply:
To apply, please email CV to email@example.com.