About the Book
Located in Rockland County, NY in the hamlet of Thiells, Letchworth Village was a residential institution which opened in 1911 and provided care for the most physically and mentally challenged of all ages. Although initially a success, the facility built on 2,362 acres of rolling fields and dense woods, soon began to harbor secrets unimaginable to the outside world. The village's fieldstone, neoclassic buildings consisted of small dormitories, a hospital, dining halls, and housing for the staff. Closed in 1996, most of the structures remain desolate, weathering away with time. The once impressive arched windows are smashed with the panes rotting into splinters. "No Trespassing" is painted on boarded up windows and planks that bar entrance. Peeking inside windows or rusted doors reveals chairs and beds remaining where they were left, leaving much to the imagination.