San Francisco, CA
Blurb® is a book-making platform and creative community that enables individuals to create, publish, share and sell high-quality photo books, trade books, and magazines in both print and digital formats. Blurb is accessible to consumers across the globe with free, innovative book creation and layout tools. Founded in 2005, Blurb has over 2 million customers worldwide, resulting in over 4 million unique book titles, with nearly 18 million units shipped to almost 100 countries around the world. We are headquartered in San Francisco.
Blurb is hiring a Design Manager to lead a small team from its San Francisco office. Ideally, Blurb is looking for a unicorn: An unabashedly creative, hyper-collaborative leader who advocates for design solutions that challenge the status quo. Who ladders every concept and execution back to our marketing objectives and strategies. Who inspires everyone around them to think bigger and change the way our customers think about and interact with our brand. Who can handle a million little things as effortlessly as one big idea. Are you that unicorn?
Our Design Manager will have primary responsibility for ideation and execution of design projects across all customer segments, ensuring creative consistency while elevating the brand and creative team with ideas, executions, and leadership. You will mentor a small team of designers to deliver eye-catching, thumb-stopping work including print, digital, social, and video assets. You know how to work collaboratively with writers to brainstorm ideas that resonate with prospects and customers. You have an eye for emerging trends and understand how to translate strategies into stories across all customer-facing marketing channels. You’re a doer, anxious to get your hands dirty at every level of the design process. But you also know how to supervise, mentor, advise, and inspire a creative team.
- Work with the Creative Director to lead a team in the conceptual development, creation, and implementation of marketing projects across all channels
- Leverage understanding of Blurb’s core customer segments and the publishing industry as a whole to provide innovative ideas and creative content that achieves business results
- Deliver creative design solutions that support various business needs, including: digital advertising, website, email, direct mail, social media content, video, and photography
- Supervise and mentor a small team of designers to uplevel all creative outputs
- Collaborate closely with the Copy Manager to ideate and execute every project
- Lead creative review meetings where weekly campaign creative is presented to Creative and Marketing leadership
- Minimum six years of experience as a graphic designer with an emphasis on in-house roles at digital/ecommerce brands.
- Minimum two years of experience in managing designers.
- An outstanding portfolio reflecting innovative, boundary-busting design executions across a range of communications.
- Ability to estimate time and manage projects with multiple deadlines.
- Experience with critiquing creative work and delivering feedback.
- Expertise with Adobe Creative Cloud suite; InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator required. HTML and CSS are a plus.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and Google Docs.
- Working knowledge of project management systems. Experience with JIRA a huge plus.
- Kind hearts, open collaboration and respect for others are non-negotiable!
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Blurb is committed to attracting and retaining the most highly qualified candidates available. As a Blurb employee you will be consistently challenged to deliver to the best of your ability. If you are prepared for this challenge, tell us your qualifications, experience and interests in this position in a cover letter and resume. Please be sure and tell us why you think you would be a great addition to the Blurberati!
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Blurb is committed to equal opportunity and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and other job functions are subject to modification. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying