DevOps / IT Manager
San Francisco, CA
Blurb® is a book-making platform and creative community that enables individuals to create, publish, share and sell high-quality photo books, trade books, and magazines in both print and digital formats. Blurb is accessible to consumers across the globe with free, innovative book creation and layout tools. Founded in 2005, Blurb has over 2 million customers worldwide, resulting in over 4 million unique book titles, with nearly 18 million units shipped to almost 100 countries around the world. We are headquartered in San Francisco.
We evolve our platform continually in response to our dynamic market, and that means continual growth and change for our product and infrastructure. We need a hands-on DevOps/IT Manager to lead the team that establishes and manages both the physical infrastructure and the core systems that run on it.
- Primary on-perm infrastructure with active goals to migrate to hybrid solution with one or more cloud providers.
- Predominantly a virtualized infrastructure utilizing open-source KVM with some legacy VMware components
- Vastly Linux ( Redhat / CentOS ) with some Windows and Mac OS.
- Both NFS and S3 used for storage with multi-terabyte repositories
As that leader you will evaluate and guide core technology decisions, collaborate with other technical managers and product owners, define team standards, mentor team members, and help us shape our DevOps-centered future. As a member of the team, you will share in regular task assignments, on-call rotation, and daily Agile communications. This is very much a player-coach position!
- Manage, mentor and develop a team of 4 DevOps engineers, including the DBA and network functions.
- Collaborate with other team leads on key architectural decisions and design considerations, CI/CD tooling and processes, monitoring and control requirements.
- Contribute to and promote good system management practices across the team.
- Plan out core infrastructure enhancements, equipment life-cycle, and upgrades.
- Foster the exploration of new technologies and methods to improve our infrastructure and operations.
- Support the production environment as part of the on-call team and manage the coverage rotation.
Education: BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent experience
Work Experience: 8+ years of system administration experience in an on-line and customer-facing company
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of system administration experience in an on-line and customer-facing company
- Current with best practices for CI/CD
- Favorable towards the automation of operations and systems administration in alignment with current DevOps practices and theory
- Practiced in creating and presenting clear documentation
- Exposure to network / SAN and database administration
- Solid root cause troubleshooting fundamentals; including reading code and able to decipher the purpose of code in languages you may not have a lot of exposure to as well as use of debuggers, etc.
- Able to communicate clearly to both technical experts and novices
- Intermediate to advance knowledge of data center operations, ability to plan and create a functional infrastructure from an empty cage space to high-traffic production site.
- Solid understand of common transport and application protocols used in a public / customer facing and production environment
- Firm understanding of customer-facing and production web-site services and applications. Including but not limited to multi-location load-balancing, content caching, data queuing and performance optimization.
- Willingness and ability to participate in 24x7 on-call rotation
- Experience in utilizing and acquiring local system performance and metrics.
Experience with many of the following technologies or similar, or the ability to come onboard quickly with minimal guidance:
- Working knowledge and experience with system and configuration automation tools ( i.e. Ansible, Salt, puppet, and or Cheif )
- Experience with common system security in a public or customer-facing environment.
- In-depth knowledge and strong background in Linux and Unix based systems and administration
- Working knowledge and understanding of bare-metal systems from common industry vendors ( i.e. Dell and, Supermicro systems, Penguin computing )
- Strong background and working knowledge of compute virtualization such as KVM and VMware in a production environment.
- Strong understand and working experience with common DevOps tools such as ( github, jenkins, maven, and others )
- Working understanding of current and common Front-end programming languages ( HTML, JS, JQuery )
- Working knowledge of content and application load-balancing using systems such as F5, NGINX, and HA-proxy
- Experience using and configuring open-source system monitoring tools such as Nagios, Icinga, and check-mk
- Working knowledge and experience utilizing log collection and analytic tools such as sumologic, splunk, and ELK
- Working knowledge and experience with application monitoring tools such as new relic, foglight, and AppDynamics.
- This is a full-time position based in our San Francisco headquarters
- Occasional travel on prem to our 2 data centers located in Salt Lake City, Utah or Portland, Oregon to assist / rack new equipment, configure and test, or decommission old equipment
- On call 1 out of every 3-5 weeks
- Participate in team decisions on tool selection, problem solving, critical path for our initiatives
- Spending time willingly picking up new technologies that you may be unfamiliar with
- Putting time in with some of our older equipment until we decommission it
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (PPO or HMO options)
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Employer-paid life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transportation expenses
- 10 paid holidays
- 15 days paid time off per year (with tenure-based increases after two years)
- Free lunch on Wednesdays
- $300 credit a year to create your own books with Blurb
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Blurb is committed to equal opportunity and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and other job functions are subject to modification. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.