Director, Global Customer Support
San Francisco, CA
Blurb® is a book-making platform and creative community that enables individuals to create, publish, share and sell high-quality photo books, trade books, and magazines in both print and digital formats. Blurb is accessible to consumers across the globe with free, innovative book creation and layout tools. Founded in 2005, Blurb has over 2 million customers worldwide, resulting in over 4 million unique book titles, with nearly 18 million units shipped to almost 100 countries around the world. We are headquartered in San Francisco.
Why you want this role:
As the chief customer evangelist and advocate, you will lead all strategic and tactical efforts in making sure that Blurb’s customers are delighted and excited about our products just as much as we are! You will be responsible for identifying and developing all culture, process and performance improvements and efficiencies for the customer and for leading/developing a team that delivers customer interactions across multiple channels (Phone, Email, Online, Live Chat, Video, Social Media). You have an ability to grasp consumer technologies and software products and an affinity towards photography and creative design. You are highly analytical and thrive in a data-driven decision-making environment. You also look forward to publishing your first Burb book (as an employee) – because this will be best way to be in our customers’ shoes!
What you’ll do:
- You will lead a global multilingual customer support team (San Francisco and London) and an outsourced third party provider team(s).
- Own and drive Blurb’s customer support strategy, including, but not limited to the following:
- Assess the current state and drive & execute the modernization of the customer support organization – identifying new tools, technologies and optimizing people/resources and processes.
- Plan and execute holiday needs around seasonal hiring, new support channels, new policies, etc.
- Benchmark best practices and competitive usage to make recommendations and changes when needed.
- Lead the customer support teams: scheduling, training, coaching, handling incident escalations; supporting and maintaining high morale and low turnover among teams (both in-house and outsourced).
- Monitor customer support performance: maintaining and improving our incident response time and improving NPS, Customer Satisfaction (CSAT) and other customer metrics.
- Drive smart process and efficiencies: constantly on the lookout for improvements in Blurb’s customer support experience through improved policy, process and/or tools.
- Use analytics and produce actionable and timely customer data to support product and company-wide decision making:
- Develop close working relationships with key team members across departments to voice support and customer data (bugs, emerging issues, and customer suggestions).
- Continually refine and improve the feedback process to product management and engineering teams.
- Oversee the implementation of the CRM support tool:
- As Blurb’s in-house Zendesk expert, drive optimization to get the most utility out of this tool.
- Maintain the relationship with our CRM partner.
- Responsible for department budget and asset allocations.
What we seek:
- Bachelors’ Degree and 5-7 years prior experience building and leading professional, efficient, passionate, in-house and remotely based Customer Support teams who contribute on all levels to the company.
- Solid analytical skills – comfort with tools/processes needed for data-driven decision-making.
- Experience managing CRM platforms, preferably Zendesk.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, especially in a technical environment.
- Comfortable with a fast-paced, ambiguous environment – self-starting, ambitious, and flexible.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently in a rigorous, high-growth organization.
- Knowledge about creative professionals, photo-editing tools and the industry a huge plus.
This is how your success will be measured:
- Meeting departmental SLAs and KPIs on driving down incidents per order, maintaining response time targets by language, build overall customer satisfaction levels as measured by survey responses.
- Getting things done while not exceeding budget and managing with profit/loss mindset.
- Advocating for the customer, and Customer Support team, within the broader organization by distributing monthly reporting on incident types and trends. Participate in identifying root causes to issues and be the first to identify high priority quick fixes.
In addition, you possess the following qualities:
- You are able to see the big picture and are strategic in your decision making.
- You have a bias towards taking initiative and are results-oriented.
- You are a strong communicator, within your team and across functions.
- And last, but not least: you radiate a positive attitude and your colleagues agree that you are collaborative and a solid team player.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (PPO or HMO options)
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Employer-paid life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transportation expenses
- 10 paid holidays
- 15 days paid time off per year (with tenure-based increases after two years)
- Free lunch on Wednesdays
- $300 credit a year to create your own books with Blurb
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Blurb is committed to equal opportunity and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and other job functions are subject to modification. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.