Social Media Manager Contractor
Blurb® is an indie publishing and marketing platform—we help people create, publish, and sell one-of-a-kind books. What kind of books? Any kind you can imagine—in print, ebook, and magazine formats.
On the Brand and Creative team, we have the enviable job of telling the world about not only the fantastic publishing platform we've created but the incredible books that our global community of customers publishes daily. As a company, we believe that everyone has a story to tell—and it's our job to help them discover how to put it into print. And with Blurb growing and innovating, it’s truly an exciting time in the brand’s journey.
Our social media team is being built from the ground up. As our social media manager, we’ll be looking to you to help shape the very types and cadence of storytelling on our social channels (currently Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube).
As the social media manager at Blurb, you'll inspire, educate, and create an online community with passionate photographers, authors, artists, designers, and consumers worldwide. You get to collaborate with a thoughtful, passionate, and dedicated team to ideate and develop innovative social campaigns, best-in-class designs, and strong organic and paid social content.
You’ll zoom out to help drive short- and long-term social media creative strategy. But, you'll also zoom in to be extremely hands-on and creative to bring that strategy to life.
You'll report to Aer, our senior content strategist, and be a founding member of the three-person, in-house social media team.
On a day-to-day basis, you’ll:
- Create and manage the social media content calendar, aligning with broader business goals and themes.
- Partner with design, community, email, web, and product team members to turn briefs into actionable, channel-appropriate creative, campaigns, and promotions that inspire and meet business goals.
- Write and edit digital content for various channels—maintaining consistent copy quality while applying and evolving brand guidelines.
- Provide feedback on imagery and designs, ensuring only high-quality user-generated content and branded content make it onto Blurb channels.
- Create and continually improve workflows via tools and clear communication, working with the project manager, community coordinator, and creative leads to ensure that schedules are accurate, realistic, and deadlines are met.
- Regularly report on results of social media efforts, iterating based on those results.
- Lead presentations and effectively communicate a strategic vision—working closely with key stakeholders and teams to contribute new ideas, trends, and innovative solutions in weekly brainstorms and reviews.
- Continually deepen your knowledge of Blurb products, experiences, and customers—including niche prosumers and professional audiences like photographers, poets, graphic designers, and artists.
- Keep a pulse on best-in-class brands and social media trends providing recommendations for improving social media strategies and content for our audience.
To thrive as a social media manager at Blurb, you have:
- Successfully crafted a multi-channel calendar of social media content—including paid ads—independently with little to no oversight.
- Lots of customer empathy and social listening skills and can observe and distill customer voices, trends, and competitors’ activities into strategic content.
- An eye for beautiful creative and previous experience providing creative direction to copywriters, designers, video producers, and influencers.
- Experience reporting social media results and using data to iteratively hone and perfect your strategy, content, and messaging.
- Excellent communication skills and a creative personality to efficiently collaborate with and influence designers, content strategists, and channel leaders.
- Experience making social media content more accessible via captions, alt text, and copy and design best practices.
- A well-rounded portfolio of social media content creation, demonstrating a solid understanding and fulfillment of brand/client objectives.*
- Knowledge of creative tools, collaboration tools, and digital platforms like Google Suite, Grammarly, Jira, Airtable, Frame.io, Happy Scribe, Melon App, and Sprout Social.
*Portfolio or links to past social media content are required during the interview process.
More about Blurb
Blurb® is a software-driven self-publishing platform that unleashes the creative genius inside everyone. Blurb’s platform makes it easy to create, design, publish, promote, and sell professional-quality printed photo books, trade books, journals, and magazines, among others. To date, we have printed nearly 30 million books and have over 3.3M+ unique users. Blurb includes a team of design, technology, and media veterans who share a passion for helping people bring their stories to life. Blurb authors have created millions of books using our full suite of free book-making tools. Blurb is taking the inspiration forward beyond books and recently launched custom wall art. Every wall is a blank canvas. Fill it with big smiles or wild panoramas. The company is headquartered in San Francisco and can be found online at www.blurb.com.
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter, resume, and portfolio and/or social accounts you are proud of working on to firstname.lastname@example.org
Blurb is committed to attracting and retaining the most highly qualified candidates available. As a Blurb employee you will be consistently challenged to deliver to the best of your ability. If you are prepared for this challenge, tell us your qualifications, experience and interests in this position in a cover letter and resume. Please be sure and tell us why you think you would be a great addition to the Blurberati!
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Blurb is committed to equal opportunity and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and other job functions are subject to modification. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying