Technical Support Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Blurb® is a book-making platform and creative community that enables individuals to create, publish, share and sell high-quality photo books, trade books, and magazines in both print and digital formats. Blurb is accessible to consumers across the globe with free, innovative book creation and layout tools. Founded in 2005, Blurb has over 2 million customers worldwide, resulting in over 4 million unique book titles, with nearly 18 million units shipped to almost 100 countries around the world. We are headquartered in San Francisco.
Blurb is looking to build on its Customer Support staff with the addition of a Technical Support Engineer. This is a junior to mid-level role, with opportunity to grow. The focus is primarily on escalation support. The ideal candidate will be someone who can bridge the ability to explore and resolve difficult technical issues while being able to communicate with CS staff or customers in a clear and easy to understand way. They will have a customer service oriented approach to technical support, while being able to shift gears on the fly when needed to interact with our Product and Development teams, and be willing to take ownership of projects & see them through. If that sounds like you, read on.
- Take technical support escalations from our customer service and escalation teams.
- Learn Blurb’s internal tools and products and build a strong technical understanding, become a source of knowledge, and shorten the response interval on our most difficult customer issues.
- Work closely with DevOps to stay abreast of Blurb’s evolving functions and issues.
- Interact with external teams (Adobe, WhileTrue, others) to shepherd issues.
- Maintain Jira tickets related to issues
- Advocate for our customers and issue resolution.
- Helping to refine internal procedures and reduce complexity in internal systems.
- Experience with technical software development environments
- Experience with Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Java, Spring, SQL via Postgres or similar
- Familiarity with logs via SumoLogic or similar
- Prior experience with printing software (Photoshop, InDesign, print creativity software)
- Understanding of CMYK, printing, and related technologies is a plus
- Working knowledge of both macOS and Windows
- You have a customer-first approach to support.
- You have strong written & verbal communication skills.
- You can demonstrate effective troubleshooting.
- You aren’t afraid to speak up when you see something that can be improved.
- You get excited about finding new solutions.
- You are comfortable communicating with our customers with clarity and empathy.
This role is onsite support in our San Francisco Office, during regular office hours. On occasion, some irregular hours may be required.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Employer-paid life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transportation expenses
- Paid Holidays
- 15 days paid time off per year (with tenure-based increases after two years)
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Blurb is committed to attracting and retaining the most highly qualified candidates available. As a Blurb employee you will be consistently challenged to deliver to the best of your ability. If you are prepared for this challenge, tell us your qualifications, experience and interests in this position in a cover letter and resume. Please be sure and tell us why you think you would be a great addition to the Blurberati!
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Blurb is committed to equal opportunity and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and other job functions are subject to modification. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We value diversity at our company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying