Vice President of Product
San Francisco, CA
Blurb is committed to enabling individuals and companies worldwide to express themselves through the creation of customized books and magazines for personal or commercial use. We strive to deliver on our mission by creating an experience that is seamless - from book creation and customer support through printing, delivery and distribution of the products. We offer the most flexible and customizable book creation experience at a competitive price. Founded in 2005, Blurb has over 2 million customers worldwide, resulting in over 4 million unique book titles, with nearly 22 million units shipped to almost 100 countries around the world. We are well known among creative professionals and have a loyal following of brand enthusiasts. We strive to broaden our reach and marketplace by expanding awareness both generally and within segments targeted for growth.
Blurb’s Vice President of Product will play a pivotal role in the future of the company as he or she will be responsible for the vision, roadmap and team that defines and manages our market-leading solutions. Specifically, he or she will be directly responsible for building and managing a high functioning team of product managers who will deliver well-designed software that engages, delights Blurb users that realize their unique creative vision in the form of beautiful printed books, magazines and more.
The Vice President of Product will oversee Blurb’s ecosystem that includes:
- Comprised of Blurb’s flagship BookWright application, multiple integrations with Adobe’s Creative Cloud software, a PDF uploader and mobile app-based creation tool.
- The company’s customer-facing web presence that provides general information, access to creation tools, an account management portal for Blurb users and a marketplace called the ‘Blurb Bookstore’ for the sale of self-published books made by Blurb customers.
- The services that support the uploading, purchasing, order routing, printing and distribution of books and other printed products.
- Printed product assortment
- Managing the assortment of printed products that Blurb offers and identify incremental revenue opportunities to expand the existing categories and add new categories of product. The VP of Product works closely with a range of stakeholders including Print Operations, Finance and Marketing.
- Team Leadership & Management
- Exceptional ability to build product teams with demonstrated success hiring, coaching, developing and enabling a team of product managers in a B2C business.
- Product Strategy
- Keen insight into and demonstrated success with the strategy and tactics that drive comparable products and services to succeed.
- Product Vision and Roadmap
- ○ Lead and own the vision and roadmap for Blurb’s software and printed products and be capable of communicating that to Blurb’s employees, executive staff, board, and other key stakeholders on an on-going basis.
- Product Execution
- Demonstrated excellence in every stage of the product cycle - product planning, customer discovery, product discovery, product development, analysis and learning as demonstrated through building and shipping multiple consumer web and creative development products with clear success and impact.
- Other Key Responsibilities:
- Assess product development sprints and enhancement opportunities.
- Participate in the development of the go-to-market marketing planning and the ongoing evolution of marketing programs for each product or product lines.
- Define pricing and competitive positioning for Blurb’s print products.
- Drive innovative ideas, solutions and products through leadership and decisive action.
- 10+ years product management experience in global e-commerce businesses with at least 5 years of successful cross-discipline senior management experience
- Expert in Agile development frameworks
- Passion for building functional and engaging consumer experiences
- Strong web or app UI/UX experience and experience managing this function
- Deep understanding of business strategy and metrics
- Customer-led product design philosophy supported by sound customer research and market validation.
- Excellent analytical skills with demonstrated experience in hypothesis-driven learning and turning data into actionable insights; demonstrates ability to design tests, measure results, and analyze performance; ability to point to past wins and speak to losses
- Entrepreneurial mindset, with a bias for action and ability to deal with extreme ambiguity and rapidly changing environments. Startup experience strongly preferred, entrepreneurial spirit a must
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree is a plus.
- Based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (PPO or HMO options)
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Employer-paid life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transportation expenses
- 10 paid holidays
- 15 days paid time off per year (with tenure-based increases after two years)
- Free lunch on Wednesdays
- $300 credit a year to create your own books with Blurb
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Blurb is committed to equal opportunity and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and other job functions are subject to modification. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.