The Life and Times of Elizabeth Entriken and Joseph Barnett
by Park County Historical Society
This is the price your customers see. Edit list price
About the Book
Elizabeth lived in the cabin from 1864 until shortly before her death in 1922. The Entriken Cabin is the only remaining structure from the original town of Bailey. It was originally located at the mouth of Entriken Gulch near the Forest Ranger Station on Main Street in Bailey, Colorado. It was moved to its present location the McGraw Memorial Park in 1973.
Elizabeth was well known for her generosity and hospitality. She knew and entertained famous prospectors, millionaires, writers, and builders. Howard and Augusta Tabor, John Evans, William Byers, Chief Colorow, and John Chivington were among those who experienced her hospitality. In addition, stagecoach passengers often stopped at the cabin for meals in the 1870s.
Joseph Barnett was the first school teacher of Platte Canon who taught the three R’s to the children of the first settlers in a little school house that he built long before the coming of the railroad in the 1878. Joseph lived in a log cabin that remains today in its original location in Bailey.
Joseph and Elizabeth were the best of friends for nearly forty years and were the cornerstones of the Bailey community. They parted ways in 1919 but their friendship endured the separation until their passing.
Commissioneer, Park County Planning Commission Board of Trustees, South Park Historical Foundation Board of Directors, Park County Local History Archives Board of Directors, Park County Historical Society Board of Directors, Woodside Park HOA Victorian Fairy Lamp Collector Volunteer Website Administrator for several non-profit organizations